In Malaysia, it is basic knowledge that it is mandatory for every vehicle owner to have a car insurance policy. An insurance coverage of your vehicle is extremely vital to its safety and the safety of the occupants.
However, before you take an auto insurance policy, it is important to note the different types of policies and whether your windshield is covered – since it is often what protects you for frontal accidents and any external impact, it is the most likely to be damaged.
Many Malaysians, however, will find that when it comes time to claim their insurance for their car windscreen, they will be rejected or it will fail. In this article, we’ll discuss more about Malaysia’s car insurance in general, why claims fail and how to claim if your windscreen is replaced or repaired by a Liberty Insurance windscreen panel workshop.
What is car insurance as we know it?
Also known as motor or vehicle insurance, car insurance is often the mandatory insurance policy that car owners purchase from an insurance company to cover the costs of vehicle loss or damage.
Based on the auto insurance policy provisions and factors such as type of vehicle, fuel type, vehicle age, age of the insurer, etc., an insurance policyholder has to pay a premium amount.
In case of an accident, if the vehicle is impaired or broken, a vehicle policyholder can claim monetary support from the insurer to repair or replace the broken vehicle component. Do note that this doesn’t automatically mean every single component is covered!
What are the types of car insurance available in Malaysia?
- Third party cover: Your insurance policy will pay for the damages you caused on others, such as damages to their cars or properties, their bodily injuries and death.
- Third party, fire and theft: This is where your insurance policy covers not only everything that is covered by a third party policy, but also the cost of damages of your own vehicle due to fire and theft.
- Comprehensive cover: This is the most comprehensive type of car insurance policy where it covers all of the above, as well as covers your losses and damages on your own vehicle due to an accident. The only type of car insurance plan that offers windscreen cover.
Reasons why your car insurance may not cover your windshield costs
1. You don’t have the right car insurance
You’ll need to check if your car insurance actually has windscreen coverage. So, check your policy again, or ask your agent if the type of car insurance policy you’ve purchased covers your car’s windscreen.
2. You didn’t go to your car insurance’s panel workshop
A panel workshop is a normal repair shop that is authorized by the insurance company to carry the repair works. Each insurance company has their own list of panel workshops, so make sure that you go to one that is listed. If you mistakenly go to a workshop which is not a panel for your insurance company, chances are you may not be able to claim for the cost of repair/ replacement even though you are covered.
3. You didn’t renew your windscreen cover
Some windscreen coverage insurance plans are one-time only for the first time you purchase it or claim it. When your windscreen is damaged and you make a claim, your coverage automatically ends.
If you want to continue to have windscreen insurance, you need to purchase another cover. If you do not buy it, though your car is still insured, next time your windscreen cracks, you will need to pay for the repair out of your own pocket!
How to claim from Liberty Insurance?
- Lodge a police report at a relevant police station
- Call Liberty Insurance at 03 – 2619 9000, visit our front counter service centres or fill our online enquire form
- Contact us on 1-800-88-5005
- Once your car is at a Liberty Panel Repairers workshop, they will assist you to file a claim
- Liberty Insurance will contact you within 24 hours!
Looking to claim your windscreen insurance for a windscreen repair? Choose the provider you can trust – choose Windscreen2U
Windscreen2U is Malaysia’s leading automotive safety glass repair and replacement company with one of the first door-to-door windscreen replacement service in Malaysia located at Cheras!
We partner with a holistic range of Malaysia’s leading insurance providers to help our customers across all sectors. With a fleet of mobile technicians, we aim to provide a superior service with value, safety, and satisfaction at the heart of our business.